Proofreading & Editing
for businesses, organisations, non-fiction publishers and independent authors
Getting your words ready for the outside world
The quality of your words is important.
When people come across your words in the outside world, they gain an impression of you, or your business or organisation. And you need it to be a good one.
If your text contains errors and inconsistencies, it can cloud your message and damage your credibility. On a website, it can also make visitors click away from your pages at first glance.
I specialise in proofreading for businesses, organisations and non-fiction publishers.
- Helping businesses and organisations to feel confident that their documents, publications and web content are clear, consistent, free of errors and ready for the outside world eg publications, websites, reports, marketing materials, blogs.
- Proofreading non-fiction books for publishers and journal articles for independent authors.
I deal with most non-fiction subject matter, but I have particular subject knowledge of:
- Wildlife, sport and tennis.
- Information management, digital content management, knowledge management, librarianship and data protection.
Please email me to ask a question, get a quote or arrange a chat about your project.
I’m Sarah, a freelance proofreader based in Boston Spa, West Yorkshire.
Words have been a passion all my life, whether that’s reading, writing or editing.
I set up my proofreading business after working for 30 years as a chartered librarian and intranet/information manager in the private, public and third sectors.
- Essential Proofreading (Publishing Training Centre) Distinction
- BSc (Hons) Information Science
- Writing for the Web (PTC)
- Web Editing (CIEP)
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP)
- Work to CIEP Code of Practice
eg books, journal articles
eg draft documents such as publications, reports, blogs, marketing materials, training materials
Editing Website Content
Refreshing existing text or getting new content ready to go online
No two projects are the same, so pricing will vary according to the type of text and the amount and type of work that it needs. For example, text that is not complex or just requires a final proofread will require less work than text that is complex or needs a lot of editing for grammar, consistency or readability.
To provide an accurate quote, I will usually ask to see the text, or a sample from the middle of the document. I will proofread a sample and return it to you with a free, no-obligation quote for the whole project.
It also helps if you can tell me about:
- Type of document (eg web content, book manuscript, annual report)
- Length – number of words/ pages/ documents
- Subject matter